Welcome to United Kingdom
Apart from 66 official cities, the UK has a large number of towns big enough to be considered as cities. However, some of UK’s official cities are even smaller than large villages or small towns.
FACTS ABOUT UNITED KINGDOM
OFFICIAL NAME: UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
Sovereign: Queen Elizabeth II
Prime Minister: David Cameron
Land area: 93,278 sq mi (241,590 sq km); total area: 94,526 sq mi (244,820 sq km)
Population (2010 est.): 61,284,806 (growth rate: 0.2%); birth rate: 10.6/1000; infant mortality rate: 4.7/1000;
Life expectancy: 79.1 density per sq km: 246
Capital and largest city (2003 est.): London
Other large cities: Glasgow, Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, Bradford
Monetary unit: Pound sterling (£)
Why Study in UK?
- UK has the World sixth-largest economy in terms of nominal GDP.
- The United Kingdom is one of the most globalized countries in the world.
- The UK is the second largest financial centre in the world, after the US.
- Worldwide Recognition of degrees
- Shorter Duration hence Education Costs are Lower
- Gateway to Europe
- Multicultural Nation
- Creative way of teaching and learning
- Degrees backed by Quality Assurance Agencies (QAA, RAE, EQUIS, AMBA, OFSTED, SQA etc.)
- According to the new guidelines issued by the British government, educational institutions have to be equipped with a license from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) indicating their eligibility to sponsor foreign candidates. As a result, the educational universities and colleges take full responsibility of foreign students studying in UK.
Types of Qualification
- Under Graduation Courses (BA/ B.Sc. / B.Engg. etc.)
- Post Graduation Courses (MA/ M.Sc. / MBA, etc.)
- Post Graduation Research (M.Phil, etc.)
- Research Level (PhD/ DBS, etc.)
Intake – Almost every month (selective Colleges, universities)
Duration – Undergraduate – 3 years; Postgraduate Degree (including MBA) – 1 year
Popular Courses Available – MBA, Finance, Investment Analysis, Marketing, Human Resources, Computing, Law, Biotechnology, Engineering, Hospitality and many more..
TIER 4 VISA: STUDENTS
Introduced in March 2009, the Tier 4 visa categories cater to students who are paying for tuition in the UK. It highlights the significance laid by the universities and colleges on income from overseas. The prime objective of Tier-4 immigration service is to offer a straightforward, user-friendly and transparent solution to students willing to study in the UK.
CATEGORIES OF TIER 4
There are two student categories in Tier 4 of the points-based system:
This category is intended for students coming to the UK for post-16 education.
This category is designed for children between 4 and 17 years of age who are coming to the UK for their education. However, children between 4 and 15 years of age may only be educated at independent fee paying schools.
UK TIER 4 POINTS BASED SYSTEM
It is mandatory for students to fulfill all the requirements of the Immigration Rules, other than having a total of 40 points.
- CAS statement (Confirmation Acceptance for Studies) issued from universities/institutions (registered in UK Border Agency Sponsor Register) will provide the student 30 points.
- Satisfaction of fund requirement as mentioned by the UK Border Agency will make him/her eligible to get an additional 10 points and therefore obtain Visa.
Cost of Living in UK – for Main Application
- £9136 (£1015 multiplied by 9 months) in case the UK University and College is in London (inside of inner London boroughs)
- £11385 (£1265 multiplied by 9 months) if the University and College is outside London (outside of inner London boroughs)
Cost of Living for Dependants
- £7605 (£845 multiplied by 9 months) if the University of the main applicant is in London (inside of inner London boroughs)
- £6255 (£615 multiplied by 9 months) if the University is outside London (outside of inner London boroughs)
List of College and universities in UK | Under tier 4
- Bournville College
- Blackburn College
- Basingstoke college of Techonology
- Conventry University (London)
- Golden Business School (Canary Wharf)
- Global Banking School (London)
- LSBF (London school of Business & Finance)
- Middlesex University
- University College Birmingham
- University of Bedfordshire
- University of West London
- University of Sunderland
- University of West Scotland
- University of Highlands and Islands (Inverness)
- Waltham forest College
- Yeovill College